Skip to main content

Located inside Costco in Camas, WA * Walk-ins Welcome!

Call: (360) 205-1414
Book An Eye Exam
Home » What's New » Q&A on Eye Emergencies with Dr Lewis in Camas and Vancouver WA. Kids and Severe Eye Emergencies

Q&A on Eye Emergencies with Dr Lewis in Camas and Vancouver WA. Kids and Severe Eye Emergencies

An eye emergency is bad enough but an optical emergency with a child or a serious accident makes it much, much more stressful. If you have an eye emergency during business hours in Vancouver or Camas WA, please come in to see Dr. Lewis right away.


Q: My toddler is complaining that his eye hurts, should I make an appointment with the Optometrist?

A: Depending on the severity of the symptom and the duration of the complaint, usually the patient should be scheduled for a medical eye evaluation.

Q: My child came home from school saying that his eye hurts, what should I do?

A: Further questioning would be helpful. When did the pain start? Is it one or both eyes? Is there any change in vision? Is there any discharge coming out of the eye? Depending on the answers to these questions, a medical eye exam could be indicated.

Q: My child’s eye looks very red, what should I do?

A: The child should be evaluated to assess for infection (bacterial or viral), allergy, and potential trauma.

Q: My child has a weird bump in his eye, should I make an appointment? Eyelid bumps and lumps should be evaluated by an eye doctor.

Severe Emergencies

Q: I just lost my vision in one eye, should I visit the emergency room?

A: Any patient with sudden vision loss should be evaluated by an eye doctor as soon as possible.

Q: My eye is bleeding what should I do?

A: Bleeding on the white part of the eye is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage and is actually fairly common. If there is no pain, no discharge, and no change in vision than it is most likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage. These usually resolve within a week. Patients with systemic disease like diabetes or high blood pressure, or those on blood thinners should probably be seen by an eye doctor to rule out vascular changes to the retina (the back of the eye).

Q: I am seeing double, should I go to the eye doctor?

A: Sudden double vision should always be evaluated by an eye doctor. Double vision (or diplopia) is particularly concerning in older patients where there is a higher risk of stroke, aneurysm, tumor, or cranial nerve palsy.

Q: I have severe pain in my eye, what do I do?

A: Severe pain should be evaluated by an eye doctor as soon as possible.

Q: I feel a lot of pressure behind my eye, what should I do?

A: Pressure behind the eyes should be evaluated by an eye doctor. Sometimes this can be caused by sinus issues. Sometimes eyestrain can cause the feeling of pressure behind the eye. If the pain is chronic, a medical eye evaluation would be a good place to start.

This was the 4th and final installment in our series of Q&A's on Eye Emergencies with Dr. Lewis- your local Camas and Vancouver area eye doctor. For more information about what to do during an eye emergency please click here.

Dear Patients,

Dr. Lewis Eye Care has made the difficult choice to temporarily close due to the COVID-19 virus pandemic based on the recommendation of the CDC. We cannot perform eye exams while maintaining social distancing, so continuing to see patients at this time could contribute to the spread of the virus.

Our initial plan had been to reopen Monday April 6th. However, as we get closer to that date it is becoming apparent that we may have to be closed for a longer, indefinite period of time.

If you are having an urgent eye health issue, there are some clinics in our area that are seeing patients for emergencies during shorter business hours. You should call ahead to those offices before going to their clinic, as their availability might change day by day. Those clinics could include Vancouver Eye Care at 360-823-2020, Peace Health Medical Group Eye Care at 360-514-7210, and Vancouver Clinic in Salmon Creek at 360-882-2778.

If you need a glasses or contact lens prescription emailed to you from our office, click on the Contact Form link, type in your name, email, and what you are requesting, and we will email you the information you need as soon as we can.

Thank you for your understanding, and please stay healthy during this difficult time.


Dr. Scott Lewis, OD